Over steering on small robots

• Hi Quantum,
    I've been trying to get the steering of the GVRBot model we have to slow down a bit. I've tried adjusting the scale and steeringBias in the vehicle xml but that doesn't seem to effect a change. I've resorted to taking an extremely small percentage of the value we're returning in our vehicle controller for the steering input. The steering is still a drastic rotation, even though I'm returning a value as low and .09.
    If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

• administrators

@Tom.Stanko said in Over steering on small robots:

Hi Quantum,
    I've been trying to get the steering of the GVRBot model we have to slow down a bit. I've tried adjusting the scale and steeringBias in the vehicle xml but that doesn't seem to effect a change. I've resorted to taking an extremely small percentage of the value we're returning in our vehicle controller for the steering input. The steering is still a drastic rotation, even though I'm returning a value as low and .09.
    If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

@Tom.Stanko,

Thanks for writing in - we're happy to look into the issue. For skidsteer vehicles, the steering is tied to the power of the motors, so you can easily decrease the steering speed if you decrease the motor's "redline" property. However, it sounds like you want to decrease the steering without also decreasing the overall speed of the vehicle?

If using a joystick, it's possible to edit the properties of the Steering entry in the vehicle's control file. For example:

<input name="Steering" type="Axis" lowKey="J" highKey="L">
         <joystick axis="1" ratio="0.5" offset="0.0" deadZone="0.2"/>
    </input>

Changing the ratio to 0.5, as above, will halve the steering speed. Note that this will not affect keyboard control.

Regards,
    ANVEL Support

• Anvel Support,

I'm not using a joystick.
    This is in the GetInputs function we've written in our vehicle controller.
    Like I mentioned, I've tried to alter the steeringBias and scale in the xml. That didn't help. When the GetInputs function is expecting a steering value to be return, I multiply the return value by .3. That still doesn't help to minimize the rapid behavior of the steering.

Thanks,

-Tom

• returned*

• Hi Tom,
    Thank you for the additional information. To assist us in reviewing this, would you mind providing us a copy of your code?

Thank you.

ANVEL Support

• What part did you want to see?
    Do you just want a screen shot of the part in question?

• Tom,
    We would like to see the code that is interacting with ANVEL, either in text or image.

Thanks,
    ANVEL Support

Looks like your connection to ANVEL Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.