Community Forum
ANVEL Licensing Options

Vehicle following real path

• I have collected GPS and IMU data in a vehicle on a test route and I would like to re-create that path in ANVEL using an environment I made matching the real one. The test was conducted in traffic on city streets so it contains starts, stops, and turns. Is there any way to essentially import a path so the vehicle not only follows the desired path, but also its speed?

• @bgn0002 said in Vehicle following real path:

I have collected GPS and IMU data in a vehicle on a test route and I would like to re-create that path in ANVEL using an environment I made matching the real one. The test was conducted in traffic on city streets so it contains starts, stops, and turns. Is there any way to essentially import a path so the vehicle not only follows the desired path, but also its speed?

@bgn0002,

Thanks for reaching out - that's a good question. It sounds like your ultimate goal here is recreating the recorded vehicle kinematics. Rather than recreating a path and trying to command varying behaviors along the path, it would be better to command the pose of the vehicle in the simulation directly. This would involve:

1. Interpolating the empirical vehicle position and orientation data to match the (nominal) 100 ms ANVEL world step
    2. Converting the interpolated position and orientation data to ANVEL's coordinate frame, sign, and unit conventions
    3. Using the API function SetPoseRelE() to directly manipulate the vehicle at each time step

Hopefully this helps.
    Regards,
    The ANVEL Team

• If I do this, how will ANVEL handle the velocities and accelerations of the vehicle and sensors placed on the vehicle? I need valid outputs from both of these if possible.

• @bgn0002 said in Vehicle following real path:

If I do this, how will ANVEL handle the velocities and accelerations of the vehicle and sensors placed on the vehicle? I need valid outputs from both of these if possible.

@bgn0002, to answer your question, the velocities would likely not be correct, since setting the pose in that manner above is in effect overriding any physics simulation that would otherwise take place. If you have the full pose data available, you may want to compute the velocities in your script instead of relying on ANVEL to do so.

An alternative approach might be creating a vehicle position replay file from your data and using that for the playback.