Community Forum
ANVEL Licensing Options

Environment Mesh

• For the sake of analysis, I would like to export a custom ANVEL environment, generated from a heightmap, as a readable file, whether it be a readable mesh or .obj that can be opened in other software or a text file with point coordinates and triangulation data. Alternatively, the algorithm for meshing the environment from the heightmap could be used to generate the environment in another software using a script.

Is there a way to export the environment in an effective manner? If not, what can I do with the heightmap to recreate the environment outside of ANVEL such that it renders exactly as it does in ANVEL?

If the environment data can be exported as a text file, is it possible to get it in the following format?:

Point X Y Z
    p1 x1 y1 z1
    p2 x2 y2 z2

Triangle Point Point Point
    tri1 p1 p2 p3
    tri2 p2 p1 p4

Any help on this topic would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

• @tlwalsh,

Thanks for your question. ANVEL does support exporting of the environment heightmap to .obj. You can do this from the ANVEL GUI menu by navigating to Sim > Environment > Export Terrain Height to Obj... and then picking a file location for the .obj.

You can also add this functionality to a script by using an ANVEL command, as shown here: https://wiki.anvelsim.com/4/index.php/ANVELCommands#ExportTerrainHeightToOBJ

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    ANVEL Support

• @ANVEL Team,

That was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!