Ray Tracing for GPS simulation

• I am trying to implement ray casting functionality in my simulation for GPS satellite availability. My satellite positions are already known from another simulation. My current thought is to input the satellite positions into a plugin, and use ANVEL to perform the ray casting for each satellite. To make things easier on the simulation, I only want to check the first 200m or so of the ray assuming the satellites are not at low elevation. I have searched through the codebase and found some ray collision methods in ODEPhysics.h but am unsure which one would be best. I have a large mesh so I am worried testing each ray against every object will be too slow.

Any advice/thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

• @bgn0002 said in Ray Tracing for GPS simulation:

I am trying to implement ray casting functionality in my simulation for GPS satellite availability. My satellite positions are already known from another simulation. My current thought is to input the satellite positions into a plugin, and use ANVEL to perform the ray casting for each satellite. To make things easier on the simulation, I only want to check the first 200m or so of the ray assuming the satellites are not at low elevation. I have searched through the codebase and found some ray collision methods in ODEPhysics.h but am unsure which one would be best. I have a large mesh so I am worried testing each ray against every object will be too slow.

Any advice/thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

@bgn0002,

First off, we appreciate your inquiry, and apologize for the very long delay. We believe part of the issue here is that there needs to be additional documentation written on the raycasting capabilities that ODE offers. We have that logged and are planning on addressing this documentation shortcoming in the near future. If you are looking for a more intricate review or analysis (and solution) on this issue, we can get you in touch with our business team to discuss additional paid support options.

Regards,
    ANVEL Support

Looks like your connection to ANVEL Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.