Saving view windows within a simulation?

• We are using a three-monitor fixed base driving simulator. We've created views for the side monitors within the vehicle xml file, and are able to manually create new view windows and link our custom views from the user interface. However, when we save the simulation and try to reload it, these created view windows don't reappear, and its a pain in the butt to have to set the view windows manually every time. We've noticed that the user created .sim file doesn't seem to contain data about view windows and linked views. Is there a way to save and/or initialize a simulation so that these windows and linked views pop up?

• @petersle said in Saving view windows within a simulation?:

We are using a three-monitor fixed base driving simulator. We've created views for the side monitors within the vehicle xml file, and are able to manually create new view windows and link our custom views from the user interface. However, when we save the simulation and try to reload it, these created view windows don't reappear, and its a pain in the butt to have to set the view windows manually every time. We've noticed that the user created .sim file doesn't seem to contain data about view windows and linked views. Is there a way to save and/or initialize a simulation so that these windows and linked views pop up?

Currently, ANVEL has a couple of capabilities that might help you accomplish something like this, but it will take a bit of configuration:

First, specify one or more new default View Windows in the Anvel.layout.xml file, which is used at startup to determine ANVEL's window layout.

Once ANVEL is loaded, you can either:

Note that if you take the first approach, ANVEL has the capability to run Python scripts on startup. Please check out the the documentation on start-up scripts.

• @ANVEL-Team
    I have had partial luck with your suggested solution. After adding 'simWindows' to Anvel.layout.xml, I can get ANVEL to launch with more windows in the correct places. Also, by using SendStringCommandParamList("LinkViewToAttachPoint",...), and I can attach the default vehicle driver view to the first sim window ('World View 1 - Ogre3dCam').

However, I am unable to link any of the newly created sim windows to any specific view (even the default driver view). Also, I am unable to attach any of the custom viewpoints I defined in the particular vehicle's .xml file (they do show up as options in the grey drop down box at the top of each window so I know that they are accessible).

Firstly, is "anv.SendStringCommandParamList("LinkViewToAttachPoint", {'World View 1 - Ogre3dCam','vehTest View'})" the correct function to use in an external python script to accomplish this, where 'vehTest' is the vehicle created by the script and 'View' is a custom viewpoint defined in the .xml of that particular vehicle?

Secondly, is there a way to name default View Windows in Anvel.layout.xml? I've been trying to use 'World View 1 - Ogre3dCam', 'World View 2 - Ogre3dCam', and 'World View 3 - Ogre3dCam' as these are the names that appear under Properties in the config window of the user interface, but this hasn't been working.

• Unfortunately, there is currently a bug with the the simWindow IDs where you can only set viewpoints for the first window created. So you'll have to set them manually for now.

To your question about the correct function, yes that is one viable approach. The view ID, though would be 'World View 1'. If the other IDs were working properly it would be 'World View 2', etc.

As just alluded to, View Window names default to 'World View #'. Otherwise currently, custom naming of the windows is not supported.

Looks like your connection to ANVEL Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.