Community Forum
ANVEL Licensing Options

Shifter Mapping

• I have a G29 Racing wheel and I want to have the shifter control drive and reverse. I have upshift and down shift currently mapped, and they work, but are clunky as upshift seems to require two hits to pass through neutral. Is there a way to set it as first gear and reverse gear so that it can be a bit more intuitive for someone to use?

• administrators

This post is deleted!

• @CollinDavenport,

That's a good question, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the current model of the transmission is fixed in that the gears are sequentially mapped. It may be possible to specify the gear (say through setting the property through a Python script that is listening to your controller inputs), but the internal mechanism would still shift sequentially. We can put it on the roadmap for future implementation of a true manual transmission, though!

Regards,
    ANVEL Support

• @ANVEL-Team Can you elaborate on setting a target gear with the sequential shifts? As I understand it the motor's "gear" property is read-only and is not supposed to be editable in ANVEL or through the external API.

I don't think the OP would mind the sequential shifts. I think the OP just wants to have one button press take the vehicle to Drive and another button press take the vehicle into Reverse. Even if ANVEL has to take a "detour" through Neutral gear to get to the desired target. Currently, going through the upshift/downshift signals would require two button presses instead of one to achieve a R->D or D->R result.

I needed the ability to set the gear from an external source and had to create a workaround in a vehicle controller plugin that timed upshift and downshift inputs to achieve a target input gear and manually perform the automatic shifting based on vehicle speed for the forward gears. The tricky part was that the signals could not be held active until the "gear" property changed because by then ANVEL would already have started the next gear shift. This meant that a request requiring several sequential shifts, such as Reverse to Drive, had to be manually sequenced over several Update() calls. I would be happy to learn of a better way to do this if it exists.

It may help to provide an input that takes P, R, N and D values like an ordinary car and manages the transmission according to that.

• @jm said in Shifter Mapping:

presses instead of one to achieve a R->D or D->R result.
    I needed the ability to set the gear from an external source and had to create a workaround in a vehicle controller plugin that timed upshift and downshift inputs to achieve a target input gear and

The ability to just select a Park, Drive, and Reverse with one button press each would solve my issue.